Wet Awake






It was a pleasant afternoon during my vacation. The weather was good with the clear sky and a cool wind blowing. I was lying on my bed literally doing nothing and occasionally staring at my phone. My younger brother insisted to go out for a ride. It didn’t take much longer for us to decide where to go. My home town being situated amidst the whole of nature always has some place to offer wonderful. Few kilometres away from home was a river, we decided to visit for a swim.

We started off on my bike covering our faces with kerchiefs to block out the dust from the road side (ya, this is also included in the “whole of nature” mentioned earlier) and the pollution. We nevertheless enjoyed the wind and the greenery, the sight of passing by trees on both sides of the road is always a treat for the eyes. The wind splashing on our body and the roaring engine added thrill to the journey. Time passes faster when we start enjoying something. And thus in no time we arrived at our destination. 

The river bank was covered with rounded pebbles and boulders that gave a feeling nothing less than a roller coaster ride with massaging chairs fitted when rode through on my bike. I parked my bike after finding a level surface and headed towards the water. Due to the continuous rain for a week, the water level had risen up. The water current was faster but was no threat for swimming. We scrambled towards the river with excitement.

The water was cold. I warned my brother not to go deep and proceeded towards it. I put my feet inside and a streak of shiver ran along my motor nerves. It got me goosebumps and didn’t want to step further inside. My brother might have smelt my fear that he started splashing water over me. My body was partially wet and the wind added to the shivering I was going through. To minimise the chilly experience, i dipped myself into the water completely. Rest is nature. It was warmer inside and now I didn’t want to come out of the water. I swam and enjoyed the water and played with my brother inside the water. We threw pebbles on the surface of water to make it jump maximum number of times it could before reaching the surface. 

It had hardly been 15 minutes we’ve been inside water, I noticed something unusual. The weather seemed to change. The sky looked dark filled with clouds hiding the sun. Without a caution it started raining. It rained heavily all of a sudden. I warned my brother to get out of the water and prepared myself to swim across. To my surprise the water level was rising unexpectedly quick and the current was too fast. I tried fighting with the force applying every bit of knowledge acquired through physics, but in vain. The faster current made it difficult for me to swim across the river, instead i was being dragged along the flow direction. In this process my head got hit by a stone which gave a big lump on my head. It hurt badly. I could feel the Doppler effect as if a police van siren on my head.

By now i had drank enough water to suffocate myself. Unable to breathe, everything around me got dizzy and started to vanish. I started to blackout. I was drowning. I began to go unconscious. My hands and legs with other body parts got numb, I couldn’t feel them. I stopped trying. 


It was as if the end of my world, the most terrifying incident i had ever experienced. A near brush with death. Subconsciously i started praying God. Then this miracle happened which explained everything.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I was awakened by my brother who emptied a bucket full of water over me. I felt angry though sighed..... It was just a dream.....a nightmare actually. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

तो फिर अब क्यों डर रहे हो?

To infinity and beyond

वो वक़्त तेरा नहीँ